Peel Martin Carr

Peel Martin Carr

Male 1904 - 1978  (74 years)  Submit Photo / DocumentSubmit Photo / Document


Article written in 1984 by Errol Carr about Thomas Carr and Catherine Moffat from Scotland to New South Wales, Australia

The Thomas & Catherine CARR Family - Alexander & Ernest Sections. A brief history of the families of two of the children of Thomas Carr and Catherine Moffat.

The Thomas & Catherine CARR Family
- Alexander & Ernest Sections

Thomas and Catherine sailed from Scotland in 1858 and arrived in Sydney with one child Thomas who was born in Scotland 1858 and Isabella born at sea 1859 but she died in Sydney April 1859.

They also brought their border collie sheep dogs and a number of angora goats.

It is understood that they travelled north to the Paterson area. The children born in this area were:
Catherine 1860
Agnes 1862
Alexander 1864
George 1866
Percy 1868

All children were baptised in the Presbyterian Church, Paterson (built 1840 to 1842 by convict labour). This is the oldest Presbyterian Church in Australia remaining in use today 1984.

The records show that Thomas was employed as a servant on "Tillimby" about 1 mile north of Paterson when Alexander was born 1864. This property of 2000 acres was a grant to J. HENNING BROUGHTON on 12th October, 1822. The property changed hands a number of times, the present owner, John Priestley purchased it in 1921 from a Mr. Niverson who was blind. [Niverson properties – Ohio, Tillimby, Thorndale, Yarrowitch, Congi (Woolbrook and Wollun)prospect.]

Some time after 1868 the family drove the goats up to the Walcha area. They followed the road that is used today through Dungog, over the Monkerai Range, Gloucester, Nowendoc and Glen Morrison. NOTE - It is known that this route was well in use in 1860 and would have been the only logical way. The same route was used to get to "Goonoo Goonoo" station (Stroud Historical Society).

Horse back riding and walking were the only way to travel through this area in those days. The railway did not reach Tamworth until 1878 and Uralla 1882.

After they settled in the Walcha area another two children were born - Ernest 1873 and Mary 1875.

I understand that they lived at several locations in the Glen Morrison and Walcha area prior to selecting a property near "Bergen Op Zoom" just north of Walcha and named it "Springwood". The electoral rolls for 1878-79 show that Thomas gave his address as "Ohio" station, a large property belonging to the Niverson family and is on the eastern side of Springwood and the road to Uralla.

On 15.4.1886 Alexander Carr took up a selection at Glen Morrison consisting of 900 acres on conditional lease $16 deposit and 320 acres on conditional purchase $64 deposit and named the property "Brierwood". It was located on the upper reaches of the MacDonald River between Ingalba and the Flags. It was on this property that our Grandparents, Alexander Moffat Carr and Mary Isabel Martin spent their short married life together. Our Grandfather, Alex was accidentally killed on 9.6.1891. The story as told by Aub Livingstone of "Wallacey" Walcha Rd. is that while chasing a pig that had escaped from the sty grandfather took a heart attack and virtually dropped dead in his tracks. Two children were born to this marriage, Isabelle in 1889 and our father Thomas George Sydney 21.1.1891.

In 1894 Grandma married Alex's younger brother, Ernest Moffat but because of the wording of Alex's will the property was passed over to Alex's elder sister, Mrs. Murphy. Ernest and Grandma had to vacate the property and so we begin another branch of the Carr story.

We have always known Ernest as grandfather and so be it.

16. 5. 1894. The marriage took place at Murrurundi between Ernest Moffat Carr 21 yrs and Mary Isobel Martin 25 yrs. It must have been around this time that the children Isabelle and our father were left with relatives in Walcha and I believe that they were of school age before they were united with the second section of the family.

Our grandparents were employed on a number of properties such as - Boolcarrol at Wee Waa, Bective at Tamworth, Surveyor's Creek, Tara and Congi at Woolbrook and Top Congi at Wollun as stockman and overseers. The story is told of them travelling stock in the "long paddock" for 2 years during the drought in the early 1900's so as to keep the stock alive.

There were other properties that they were connected with or owned such as the grazing paddock at West Tamworth -Rivervieu and Penshurst, 5 or 6 miles south-west of Woolbrook. When Penshurst was sold in the late 1920's the house was pulled down and rebuilt in Woolbrook.

Grandfather continued on with droving stock and working on properties. One was "Bellvieu" about 10 or 12 miles up river from Woolbrook (within about 12-15 miles from Brierwood). I joined him there in the winter of 1933 or 34 working the farm during the day - digging potatoes with a fork, pulling corn by hand, cutting old hay into chaff, (potatoes and corn sold for $1.20 per bag and chaff at 50c). In our spare time - that was early mornings, late afternoons and night time we each worked 48 rabbit traps. The rabbits when caught were skinned, the skins dried, bagged and taken to town by horse and spring cart on the Saturday and sold for 20c to 25c per lb. (6 or 7 skins).

In 1936 Grandfather took on a mail run from Manilla to Keepit (present Dam area). Due to the local conditions such as bush tracks and the black soil the mode of transport was horse and sulky. Grandfather and his son, Peel decided to change this and bought a T model Ford car. This was alright in the dry weather but when it rained he needed HELP, the same of which was given by the people of the area such as Bub Lennon (Jean's uncle) was one of many people.

This work was too much for him and the mail contract was cancelled. He then returned to his original occupation as overseer on a property. This was also unsatisfactory as he had 2 accidents which finished his working life, he broke his leg when handling horses and pulled a thumb from his hand when his saddle horse shied at a snake. I believe that this ended his working life. He later came to Mayfield and lived with his sons, Peel, Wally and Sid for various periods until 1945 when he went to live with his son Eric Carr at Ardglen, he died shortly. after at Murrurundi where he had started his married life 5]. years previously.

Note: This story is for the benefit of the family in general and has been collated from a number of sources. I can only say that it is correct to the best of my knowledge. - Errol Carr

Linked toWritten note titled “The Thomas and Catherine Carr Family - Alexander and Ernest Sections”; Agnes Isobella Carr; Alexander Moffat Carr; Catherine Carr; Eric Robert Edward Carr; Ernest Moffat Carr; Errol Sydney Carr; Isabella Carr; Isabelle Carr; Mary Elizabeth Carr; Peel Martin Carr; Percy Frisking Carr; Thomas Carr; Thomas George Sydney Carr; Wallace Moffat Carr; William George Carr; Thomas Carr or Kerr; Mary Isabel Martin; Catherine Moffat

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding v. 12.2, written by Darrin Lythgoe © 2001-2020.

Roger’s Online Genealogy - created and maintained by Roger Moffat Copyright © 2000-2020 All rights reserved. | Data Protection Policy.

© 2000 – 2020 Roger’s Ramblings Powered by WordPress Suffusion theme by Sayontan Sinha

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.