Below are a few images of the water gardens as they were on 10 August – Lilies in full bloom- too bad they’re all yellow.
Tucked in away amongst the lilies I found this little scene.
While watering the garden at the back of the house this morning something caught my eye…
In case it’s not obvious in this picture what I saw, here it is again…And a much closer view reveals…
A gallery is below.
Since putting in the ponds nearly 2 years ago it has been a constant battle to keep the water clean. I’d only bought a cheap filter at Menards when first getting this set up, and it became apparent that we needed better to try and keep the water clean. Other measures were needed too, like more area covered by lilies or other vegetation. The water lilies we’d had from Menards were tired and not doing very well.
A couple of weeks ago we bought a new water lily, along with some water lily food, and some chemical to help clear the water. The new lily has done amazingly well, the chemical powder to clear the water was slowly working it seemed, and the olde tired water lilies were responding to being re-potted and actually fed for the first time. But it seemed like we still needed a better water filter. Hours spent searching, researching and reading online came up with the thought that we needed a Bio-Pressure-UV Filter – this has mechanical filtering, bio-filtering, and a UV light to kill algae.
Ebay turned one up for $72 plus shipping, and that arrived yesterday. So after much pondering on just where and how to put it, today was spent digging, organising, piping with bigger pipes than I’d used previously, and generally tidying up.
A couple of pictures show this in progress. There’s still more to tidy up before I take the “finished” pictures…
A few shots taken today in the garden this afternoon, and then this evening from the kitchen window. An update to the water garden, and then a visit from bambis
Yesterday Lisa and I went to Apols Landscaping and oohed and aahed at the amazing selection of water lilies and other aquatic plants they have in an amazing array of ponds, and came home with a water lily, a couple of other plants, some “stuff” to take care of the water with, pellets to feed water lilies with and just for a laugh 5 tadpoles.
So the 2 puny lilies I’ve had for a couple of years got repotted and fed and put into one pond, and the new water lily given a pond of its own, along with the tadpoles and assorted snails that were hangers on.
Then tonight after dinner Lisa looked out the window and a bambi was on the patio right outside the kitchen. By the time I’d got my camera, it had raced off to join its sibling across the lawn, and then Mum turned up.
When we moved here in 1998 there were a number of pine trees planted, including a couple “near” the driveway. At first there was about 4′ of grass between the tree and the driveway, but as time passed the tree became wider and wider and wider, to the point where a few years ago I had to cut a small flat on the side of it to keep it a bit clear of the driveway.
Now to today where the tree was now seriously impinging on the driveway. First step – cut what I could reach while standing on the ground.I’ve cut it back about 4 feet from the edge of the driveway – the extent can be seen in the overhang over the tractor and trailer. Hopefully it will fill in a little bit, and next time it’s trimmed still be well back from the driveway. Once I’d cut all I could reach from the ground it was time to move the trailer in and use that as a platform to reach higher.
Once I’d cleared it as much as I could reach from the trailer, next level is to work from a ladder sitting on the trailer. (the blocks and jacks at the back of the trailer are holding it steady to stop it bouncing on the springs).
The UPS driver will be much happier now that he doesn’t have to scrape the side of his truck through this, and then re-adjust the side mirror. A gallery of a few more images is below:
I looked out the kitchen window this morning and “spotted” this scene.
another “bambi” was off to the left. They left before I could get another photo.
I spotted these two growths of a fungus on a couple of dead trees in our yard.
The first image below is 1 of 4 fungi that were growing around the base of this dead box elder tree.These next 2 shots are the same growth on a different tree.
The trees are in full bloom at the moment, so I’ve taken a few pictures of some of them to share here.
A photo gallery of some pictures is below (click the first (or any) image to open a larger version in a slide show)
A very intense hailstorm this morning dropped the biggest hailstones I’ve ever seen – still no where near the size that you hear about – golfball size, baseball sized – but yet the noise they made was “impressive” as they hit the roof of the house and banged into the front door as they bounced across the porch.
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.